I never tire of starting my day with this healthy Raw Granola.
Shop bought Granola is usually high in sugar and grains. Even natural sugar such as honey should not be eaten in excess and I personally find that too many grains, especially first thing in the morning, make me feel sluggish. I prefer to eat a lower carbohydrate breakfast as I find that it keeps my energy levels much more balanced during the day.
This is so easy to make. Most of the ingredients can be made up in a large batch and kept in the fridge, so you then only require a couple of minutes to put it together on a busy morning. It is also very portable if you need to throw it into a large jar or Tupperware bowl to eat later on at work.
Base Ingredients (approx. 5-6 portions)
- 4 handfuls of nuts – I use pecans, walnuts or macadamias
- 2 handfuls of seeds – I use pumpkin
- 2 handfuls of coconut flakes
- 1 tbsp raw cacao nibs
Blitz all these ingredients in a food processor until finely chopped. Keep in a jar in the fridge.
- 3 tbsp chia seeds
- 3 tbsp ground flaxeeds
Grind your seeds in a nutribullet or coffee grinder. Keep in a jar in the fridge.
Assemble Your Granola (1 portion)
- 3 tbsp of the chopped nut and seed mix
- 1 tbsp of the ground chia and flax
- 1 tbsp protein powder – I use whey, but any protein powder is fine
- 3 tbsp plain live yoghurt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp berries
- Another fruit if you wish – I use half a chopped banana
- Splash of milk (dairy or non-dairy) if you wish